Mountain Navigation & Proficiency Course
Are you looking to become safe and self sufficient in the mountains?
Gain confidence in your surroundings with the expertise of a KerryClimbing Instructor.
The ability to navigate accurately and safely is a vital skill for all those venturing into the Irish hills and mountains. In the Irish mountains in particular the weather and visibility can change very rapidly, making it especially important for mountain users to be able to navigate effectively even in limited visibility. Our mountain proficiency courses aim to give you the map and compass skills to enable you to navigate in all weathers and is suitable for beginners upwards. They are aimed at individuals, clubs and youth groups but are also a great course for family groups.
- Maps, scales, grid system & grid references
- Concept of the three D’s – Direction, Distance and Detail
- The Compass, different types, advantages and disadvantages, measuring and taking bearings, allowing for magnetic variation
- Techniques for following bearings in bad visibility, back bearings
- Pacing distances and timing distances, all measuring and calculations
- Understanding Contours – the shape of the land – and interpreting map features
- Reading weather
The course is based in the MacGillycuddy’s Reeks – and starts off with a short introduction, followed by a day out on the lower slopes learning about contours, pacing and timing distances, and getting to grips with really understanding what the map is showing us and how landscape features are represented.
Price: €65 per person. (Minimum numbers required)